From Whitby Junction to Station Gallery
In 1967, a group of passionate arts enthusiasts in Whitby started a community gallery, operating under the name Whitby Arts Incorporated. In 1969, the group, supported by interested volunteers and benefactors, purchased Whitby's Grand Trunk Railway Station, which had been slated for demolition. The station was saved from being torn down and moved to Henry and Victoria Streets in 1970. The name Station Gallery was adopted to reflect the heritage of the building.
Station Gallery began a major transformation in 2005, supported by unprecedented municipal cultural commitment. The original Grand Trunk Railway Station and Port Stanley boxcar were moved across the street to the current location at 1450 Henry St.
The building expansion saw Station Gallery's space increase to close to 10,000 sq. feet. Designed by Phil Goldsmith of the nationally acclaimed Goldsmith, Borgal and Company, the new addition significantly enhanced gallery capacity with increased exhibition, studio, collection storage and administrative space.
The newly renovated Station Gallery re-opened on January 3, 2006, with an exhibition comprised of a selection of works from the Canada Council Art Bank entitled Cross-Over. Station Gallery has operated as a community visual arts centre for 45 years. Be sure to stop in and check out the beautiful architecture of both the new and heritage exhibition spaces. Station Gallery is free to visit and open seven days a week.
Do you have a favourite memory of Station Gallery? Email us at email@example.com. It's always great to hear how Station Gallery continues to be a part of the history of the Town of Whitby and community of Durham Region.